Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 13

We left beautiful Interlocken (Switzerland) today on the 6:30 a.m. train out. The sky was dark and the moon was changing places with the sun so the sky looked blue, the alps looked blue with light blue snow, and the water was reflecting all of this beauty. It was calm and peaceful. We were tired but it was a good way to get out of their early enough to make it here, Salzburg (Austia) at a decent hour without changing a bunch of trains. We only have to changes and both were right away. We arrived in Salzburg at 2:30 and were all checked into our hostel by 3:15. God provided big time for us as online they were all booked for tomorrow night but upon arriving and requesting a second night they had just 2 beds available (at least that is what I think they said).

The train ride for me was very peaceful. I was able to finish the last Rock Harbor podcast I had started on Wealth and Hell - it was so good it brought me to tears. I followed it with the next one from March 21. It was a nice time to just spend reflecting on God's Word and what he is doing in my life here. I've been on the search for a direction from God over these four months and it's not unfolding quite as I expected, but does God ever do as we expect Him to, no and we're probably wrong to think that way (or should I say, I am wrong to expect anything). So I've been reflecting and talking to Him and they things He is bringing up in me is so interesting. No direction yet but He's definitely unpacking my head and it's a lot. Not sure if that will make sense to all but in sum please be praying that God continues to draw near and speak to me through this trip.

Back to travels...so we got to the hostel, got in our rooms (it's a four person room - so nice after the 8 and 15-bed dorms we've had lately). We have one roomate but haven't met him/her yet. This hostel reminds me of the first hostel I ever stayed at when I was 13 (I think we were in Oxford). The hotel is very clean and very American - so nice to hear English!!! We took showers, had a snack and then hit the town a bit. I was in charge of the map this time as I spent an hour relaxing at the hostel reading the self-guided walking tour (Josh was on the computer). We just went down to the gardens from "Sound of Music" and then to find Mozart's house because we'll be going there tomorrow. We found the supermarket and got a few snacks for the next few days and dessert for tonight.

Once back at the hostel I started laundry. Let me tell you clean laundry is the second best feeling when traveling and needed a little bit of "home". Sounds funny but I needed clean laundry to help get me going again (the blow-dryer helped last week). I only have one load left, whites, and I might save it because it's not totally necessary (plus Shane will be here in 2 weeks with more clothes!).

Dinner was interesting. We ate here at the hostel in the bar. Josh got has something that was battered and fried and it came with fries (I can't remember the name); I had a vegetarian pizza. Let me tell you what that means in Austria. A vegi pizza has corn, black olives, broccoli and baby carrots with a little sprinkle of cheese. It was ok for what I thought when I first saw it but after four slices I changed to just eating the crusts because it stopped tasting good (or maybe I just wasn't starving anymore). So America is still #1 in pizza so far. this one was cheap though at 5.5 euros. Not bad considering we had the same size last night for 19 SF.

We changed our travel plans a little bit but are both looking forward to it. We are going to stay in Salzburg two nights then go to Rothenburg (a medieval walled City in Germany). After that we go to Josh's friend Sarah's house for two nights (including Easter) and then we'll go to the Rhine river in Germany. We're not going to Berlin anymore but are going to fly to London early (on April 8). It was a lot of re-working on the plans but I think this will be fun.

We are both looking forward to tomorrow and our little walking tour. The garden we saw today is so beautiful we're going to maybe read for a bit there too. The day should be full of fun sights, sound of music and souvenir shopping and Mozart history.
We are also very excited about the all-you-can-eat breakfast for 3 euros at the hostel - they won't know what hit them with Josh :).

Love to all,
Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment