Hey it's been a few days because I wasn't feeling well the second night in Florence and the third the computers were all taken. In Arles, France, we didn't have internet but now in Switzerland we do!
So to catch you up here we go...if I have to leave early I'll post what i have and finish later.
God's gift to me today was talking to my family through skype tonight - everyone was there and they called my grammy and so I got to hear her through the phone! God knew I needed that, thank you Father!
Ok the stories...
Our second night in Florence we went to Venice. BEA-utiful! It was amazing to walk out of the train and see it - i have a video and will share with you as soon as i can. We got lost but eventually found out way. We ran into girls from Capernwray so Josh was excited :) - girls, girls, girls!
Then we came back and I wasn't feeling well so I went to the dorm at the Hostel to find creepy guy staring at me so that was a no go. I went back down to my bodyguard, Josh, and we watched a "Curb" and went up. Luckily this older lady who was staying there was sleeping next to me and I stared down the creeper until he left until I feel asleep. (side note about the lady - the hippest grandma I've seen here! She rocked red pants with a fancy black top. She layered like you wouldn't believe and rocked the skinny leg jeans too. Hope when I've in my 70s I can rock the style like my grandma - you all know she rocks it! - but do it while traveling in hostels in Europe!
The longest train ride comes next...11 hours from Florence to Arles, France.
We left in the morning around 8 a.m. and had to change trains 6 times. I messed up on the tickets by originally asking to get to Nice when we needed to get to Arles (also in Provence, France). So I had to use my timetable book to get us there but it took about 3 hours. Our last train was delayed 25 minutes and we didn't understand the French to find out why we were delayed. We made it to Arles finally just as the sun was setting. After the longest day of life we check in, walk up stairs and open the door to our room to find ONE bed - yep, one bed. So I go downstairs to try my luck in French to get us two beds - but of course, they didn't have it. So, we made it work with me under the sheets hugging one side, and josh on top of the covers with a blanket hugging the wall - it worked out but we are getting separate rooms while we're on the Rhine to make up for it - no more sharing unless we are desperate (which we were). The cool part about the hotel was the terrace (we could look out on the mafia run "restaurant" below in the square - we're not sure what was happening but we think something was going down). We got dinner at the store and Josh humored me for my mini breakdown of the long train ride, depressing book and our room situation.
Saturday morning we walked the market for hours. I bough earrings - little stud owls that are really cute. Also a gift for my nephew (my cousin Hayley had baby Logan - and he's the cutest baby boy I've ever seen!). We got some olive oil and sundried tomato spread that is so good (and we got a gift for the family hosting us for Easter).
We walked the town and saw all the sites. Josh took a nap while I read on the balcony. Best part of the day - I bought a blow dryer. I thought I could do it but after 10 days of ugly I needed it!
Sunday I did my hair and feel like a whole different person! We tried to go to Marseille twice but we didn't know they had a time-change (no one told us). So we walked the town again, met a couple from Oregon traveling with the Rick Steve's book too, and ate at a local bakery (quiche for me and Sausage in a pastry for josh).
Today we traveled early (8 a.m.) from Arles to Switerland. The train was long but I had time to pray, read and reflect while looking at the beautiful countryside. We made it to our hotel, Happy Inn & Lodge, and got in our dorm room. I was able to skype the family and John - so good! God uses His children to encourage each other and talking to John was that for me!
I'm able to steel this much time on the internet because our roommate is a Harry Potter fan and he and Josh are speaking the language of HP - I'm totally lost :).
Switzerland countryside is clean and fresh looking, France is historic, Italy is charming and Munich is distinct. I can't wait to see what Austria has for us!
I'll try to think of more travel stories but here is just the info on where we are and what we've seen.
We miss everyone and am so excited to see Mandy in less than 2 weeks, Shane in 2 weeks, Court in 3, and Sarah and Diana in a few months!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment