Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 17...Stuttgards and an Easter to remember

Happy Easter - not for bunnies but time with family to remember that on the 3rd day Jesus rose, providing the way for us to be saved. He is so good!
This was an Easter I will never forget. Not because I wasn't at home but because God used a family in Germany to shower blessings beyond explanation or words on me and Josh. They not only opened up their house to us, giving up their beds (the two sisters are sleeping in the attic/game room for us), but they took us in and made us feel like we were part of their family. They spoke English for us (because we don't speak German - but the brother, David, is trying to teach me though I'm pretty sure he's having me say weird things because he laughs every time I repeat after him).
Thanks be to the Lord for paving the way for us to share in celebration of his Son in a different culture and different way.

The day...
So we woke up early, 5:00 a.m., to get ready and be at the "Youth Service" - Sunrise service as we'd call it - but we were late and had to stand outside. It was a little bit cold but kind of a neat experience in itself. We made it inside about half way through to stand in the back (in front of people) and share in some worship songs (some were in English, most in German) and then take communion. We also heard the Lord's Prayer in German (I mouthed it in English as everyone else said it out-loud in German together).

We left and came back "home" to crawl into bed and sleep for another 3 hours (we were up until 12 the first night we got in so after only 5 hours of sleep the extra 3 was much appreciated!). We woke to breakfast made by Sarah, her sister and brother - it was delicious and included yogurt, fruit, bread and jams, juice and tea, and salami (which Josh ate - shocked?).

Then we showered and got ready for the day. It's traditional for families to eat a big lunch on Sundays after church so we ate what tasted like a pot-roast - but better - with noodles and some kind of purple vegi that was good too. the whole mean was incredible and it was followed by a latte and chocolate (usually dessert but for Easter they eat dessert with their big family).

(I have to be quick because they are watching a movie so here are the fast hightlights to hopefully expand on later):
Bike-ride through the town, dessert and coffee with their family, present hunt for the kids (they showered Josh and I with gifts of chocolate and other fun things), tossing football outside (monkey in the middle), then games inside, grandma gave me a tea-towel of Easter because she knew I collected them, dinner (toast, ham, pineapple and cheese), more card and board games, good-byes to the family and telling them how amazing the day was for us and how blessed we felt.
Back at the house to enjoy coffee/tea and cookies (I'm sure to have gained all my weight back after this trip - in cookies alone:)). Then talked to my grammy and family on their phone because they have free international calls.

Great day and now off to watch a movie with the girls, their friends and Josh :)

No comments:

Post a Comment